1/31/15

[kiddos]

I spend most of my day at work with kids. Most of my morning is quiet, then around noon when the kids are released for lunch, the rest of the day is filled with kids wandering in and out, puzzles on my desk, lesson questions, chalk drawing and demands to take "fotos" on my camera. It has been two weeks and I can already tell you that I will learn more from these kids then they will learn from me.

These students have been through unimaginable things I would not wish upon anyone. But I have been able to get a glimpse of their hope. These kids are learning about Jesus everyday, and everyday they get  to experience family at the home and academy. Of course, they are still kids. They fight with each other, can't sit still in class, smile their cute smile to get what they want, and break things, but there is so much to learn in that. They teach me grace, patience and love in a completely new way I have never experienced before. It brings me so much joy to think about how Jesus looks at them when he sees them, and then I am reminded that he looks at me the same way.

Here, there is the obvious language barrier. The difficulty with the lack of language has shown me the importance of words. Okay, duh words are important, but I have a whole new appreciation for conversation and how it brings people together. However, with all of that said, I have also learned how building relationships is not limited to words.

Last week, Elisabeth and I went for a run down the beach outside the compound. Just when we were about to turn around to run back, we noticed a small soccer (or "futbol") game happening with the local kids. After a few minutes of contemplation, Elisabeth and I jumped over a small river and ran up to the mud field. At first the kids looked confused (getting stared at is a common thing here for us) but as soon as Elisabeth kicked their ball, it was on. We spent 30 minutes being schooled by kids under the age of 12, it was awesome.

I was reminded on our run back to base of God's love in that soccer game. How great is it that we serve the God who has no limitations, not even with language. It is easy for me to doubt my capabilities, especially here. It would be easy to accept defeat with sharing God's love since we can't speak Creole. But God's love is way bigger than words, it is best shared through actions. I pray that those kids got a taste of love from our laughter and high fives when they scored on us. That game reminded me that God's love truly has no boundaries. He can use any situation, conversation, or action for his glory, we only have to be willing. So when an opportunity presents itself to share that love, we just run in and go for it.

1 comment: