6/3/13

Sandy Feet

Wow, I have officially been on this island for one week, and what a week it has been.
I have met some incredible people, eaten a lot of trashy but delicious food, gotten a lot of sun, learned what "chud" means, played the funniest game of putt-putt, almost got run over by a surfer mid-ride, and learned so much about the early life of Christ. I still feel like that does not even begin to scratch the surface of my first week here.
The Lord is so sweet to me and has provided so much this week. He has given me great friends/community in a new place and a heart for this island. I knew nothing really about where I was going, I just knew it was the beach...and I did not love the beach y'all. However, after this week and being on the beach everyday, I could not be more excited about living the beach life all summer. The life here is simple, but filled with so much joy. The greatest discovery for me has been that shoes are optional everywhere and anywhere here.
I. Love. It.
Unless you're skating, you do not need to wear shoes. No but seriously. I went to the store today in a big t-shirt and bathing suit. That's it, and I have absolutely no shame about it. It actually rocks. However, with this change I have also learned quickly that pavement and sand can get painfully hot...so that's been rough on my feet but I'll move on.
Besides having slightly dirtier feet, being shoeless has been surprisingly fun. It has also made me think of stepping out and taking chances in my faith. Like "taking off my shoes" literally as well as spiritually. Taking chances and doing something that might be different than what I'm used to, but feeling free in it. 
With that mindset spiritually, I want to go places I never have with Jesus and not be afraid to go deeper. I have already learned so much and feel walls he is tearing down, just in one week. I have gotten to see Jesus in a different light than I ever have before, and it is beautiful.
I want to run towards Jesus wholeheartedly and barefoot. I don't want the hot sand to stop me or slow me down, but just to run for him regardless of obstacles in the way. I want to walk with him not within boundaries; but without fear, in confidence and freedom. 
The world (off the island) may have its own opinions and say not wearing shoes is weird and unsanitary, but this is right and acceptable where I am now, so I do not need to take those opinions to heart. The world also has its opinions about how to follow Jesus, like what it should look like, where I should go, what scripture to memorize, and the list goes on. It's a good thing God loves me for me and delights in childlike faith. Faith where I run and dance with no shoes and go when I may not know what's next, but I jump headfirst and trust anyways.
Yeah maybe my feet are dirtier and sandier, but there is a strange freedom about it. I feel like I am jumping into something wholeheartedly and daring to do something different for me. This is what God created life with him to look like; not safe and clean, but taking chances and never staying where you feel safe.
I hope y'all are starting to get that this post isn't really about being weird and dirty by not wearing shoes, but about what I'm learning life with Christ looks like. So my friends, this summer I am pressing on with every intention to challenge myself in new ways in my relationship with Jesus. I am taking off my shoes, both in my walk with Christ and literally in my walk to the beach.










No comments:

Post a Comment