4/25/14

[masterpiece]

The reason I had always wanted to go to Ireland was to see the Cliffs of Moher (along with the accents, rolling green hills, and music...but mostly the cliffs).

The morning our tour was scheduled to go to the cliffs, it was pouring down rain (and our room in the hostel had a nice leak in the ceiling right above my clothes- that was fun). My friends and I rolled out of our bunks with nerves with the unfortunate weather as we prepared to run to the bus.

However, every time the bus made a stop, the rain stopped as well. I held on to this hope, praying that the same would happen when we reached the cliffs.


And it did.

Since there were wind advisory warnings all day, we were the only visitors. We rushed off the bus and into the sunshine, anxious to see the view over the edge. When I reached the stone wall and peeked over, I was in awe. Below me was a magnificently high drop with strong sea swells crashing against the wall.
Every time another wave crashed, the mist of the sea sprayed us.We ran up to the higher cliff to get a better view, all the while I am shocked that there are no boundaries set to protect people from falling off the edge. The view at the top was breathtaking. What was so incredible to me was how huge the cliffs themselves were, they towered over everything. I stood there trying to process just how grand they were.

This view made me realize how small I really am. I don't mean in stature and weight, but in a humbling way. I think traveling is important because the more I see of the world, the more I realize how big the world really is and how small I seem in it. 


I'm thankful that God created breathtaking views and incredible sights like the Cliffs of Moher, because despite the beauty we are still his greatest creation. He looks at us and says we are his prized possession. 

That's what was humbling that day; while I felt small next to those cliffs, it reminded me that God looks at me with joy that is far greater than my awe with the cliffs. And the best thing is, God made these beautiful sights for us, to show us how great his love is for you and me.

I got back on the bus feeling overwhelmed with God's love for me, that he would create something as breathtaking as the cliffs for me, and yet still call me his masterpiece.




4 comments:

  1. When I think of Ireland, I think of P.S. I Love You and the scenic views in that movie hardly compare to your adventurous pictures. Honestly, these are just breathtaking. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Pretty much all of my ancestors came from Ireland. I always wanted to go. Now I know of some great sights to look for if I ever can make it out there. Amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ireland is on my list of places to go visit. Dublin and the Cliffs of Moher are at the top of the list. Your pictures of absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts make me smile! The pictures are breathtaking and I love you positive, faithful outlook on life.I hope you get to keep travelling, Ireland is definitely on my list of places to go!

    ReplyDelete